HOME CONTENTS Insurance Germany
Table of Contents:
- Home Contents Insurance
- What does home contents insurance cover?
- What does home contents insurance not cover?
- How much does it cost?
- Best Insurance Provider For Foreigners/Expats
What is home contents insurance?
Home contents insurance is one of the most important types of insurance in Germany. It insures your belongings against damages due to storms, water, fire and vandalism. Most home contents insurance companies also provide coverage for theft, robbery and burglary. Different policies, however, offer different coverage.
German home contents insurance is not compulsory to have, but it’s really good to get insured. In some cases, home contents insurance is an essential part of renting or buying a flat/house. For example, some property owners will not rent you a furnished flat unless you have home contents insurance! This guide explains everything you need to know.
*It is also important to mention that home contents insurance is different from homeowners insurance. They’re easy to confuse. See our FAQ at the bottom of the page to read more about home contents insurance vs. homeowners insurance.
What does home contents insurance cover?
Home contents insurance normally covers:
- Jewelry and cash
- Home electronics (e.g. TV, coffee machine, refrigerator)
- Clothes and shoes
- Furniture and carpets
- Antennas or marquees that are a part of your home/apartment
When the damages are due to:
- Water damage
- Fire and smoke damage
- Storm damage (e.g. wind, hail, lightning)
*In some cases, home contents insurance will cover damages that occur outside your home. See our FAQ below to read more.
What does home contents insurance not cover?
Home contents insurance normally does not cover:
- Most damages to walls, ceilings or floors
- Damages pets cause
- Items outside your home (Personal/private liability insurance covers this.)
- Self-inflicted damage
- Things homeowners insurance covers
- Stolen bikes (Sometimes you can add German bike insurance to your policy.)
How much does it cost?
Home contents insurance is generally less expensive than most other types of insurance in Germany. How much your policy costs, however, depends on many things. For example, if your neighborhood has a high crime rate, your home contents insurance will cost more than if you lived in a neighborhood with a low crime rate. This makes sense: if you live in the center of a neighborhood more vulnerable to theft then you’re more of a risk for your insurance provider. Nevertheless, you can generally buy a basic plan for less than 50€ per year. A well-known insurance provider in Germany, getsafe, offers home contents insurance starting at 1.37€ per month.
Best Insurance Provider For Foreigners/Expats
While there are a handful of different home contents insurance providers in Germany, options are limited for expats that don’t speak German. We think getsafe is a great home contents insurance provider, especially for expats. They offer great coverage and services in English to make getting German home contents insurance easy for expats.
Home Contents Insurance VS. Homeowners Insurance
Does Home Contents Insurance Cover Belongings Outside The Home?
*It’s important to note that different insurances have varying conditions. Make sure you read the fine print of what your insurance policy covers before you purchase your home contents insurance.
What Is An Insured Sum & Why Is It Important?
The insured sum affects your monthly premium. The more you get insured, the more your monthly premium will cost.
What Costs Are Covered In An Emergency?
Accommodation costs after a damage
Pipe cleaning service
*The maximum amount you can claim per year differs. It’s not unlimited. Check with your insurance provider to learn your maximum limit.
What Add-Ons Are Available?
Theft of bags
Phishing (online-banking fraud)
Costs Without German Home Contents Insurance
1. During a storm, a tree branch in your yard breaks and falls through your bedroom window. As a result, the dresser and bedside table break. Without home contents insurance, you’ll have to pay close to 550€ to get a new dresser and bedside table.
2. While you’re at work there is a bad storm. The storm ruins your basement floors and your new carpet. It will cost you around 400€ to buy a replacement carpet.
3. You travel to Berlin for a weekend with your family. While you are gone, a thief breaks into your house and steals your belongings, including your laptop, TV and jewelry. The total sum of everything that the thief steals is 2,000€!
Why Is getsafe The Best Option For English-Speaking Expats?
– You can customize your plan to meet your needs
– Anytime cancelation (in other words, there is no fixed duration)
– English website
– English customer support
– No deductible (also referred to as general excess)
*Full Disclosure: Some of the links we use on this website are affiliate links. When you use those links you help keep our website free. There is no additional cost for you. We also want to note that we only recommend services we trust and that we would use ourselves.